Creamy fish soup is a delicious and perfect non-vegetarian soup for dinner, because of its creamy, little spicy and aromatic flavor. Creamy fish soup can be prepared in just 10 mins if you have you fish stock ready, else it would take 20 mins to prepare. In tamil we call it as “Meen soup”, Also this meen soup is prepared with basic ingredients available in all Indian kitchens.
Soups are most comforting dish during winters and sick times. I am not a soup person, but there are times when I like to have soup paired with some bread toast. This fish soup / meen soup is my long wait recipe that I wanted to try at home, I have used 2 to 3 pieces of fish and then it was the pieces from head and bones. Usually I add fish head along with 1 or 2 tail pieces to the curry, but rest of the pieces would be fried, as our family likes to have fish fry more than the fish in curry. This Creamy fish soup is liked by the whole family and been a very comforting food for our sore throat, also perfect for winter and so glad to enroll this to my winter recipes.
CLICK HERE for more Soup recipes
The dish came into existence, when I had head pieces leftover at my refrigerator. This fish soup thick and creamy and mildly spiced with ginger and pepper, with the flavor of few winter veggies. This soup can be paired with bread toast or even this can be served along with steamed rice, but make sure to discard the bones. Such a drool and comfort food, give a try and share your feedback.
Taking this to Fiesta Friday 207 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
- Fish stock:
- Fish pieces (head and tail pieces) – ½ kg
- Water – 1 ½ litres
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves – 3 stalks
- Onion – 1 no
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Fish (boneless) – 200 gms
- Potatoes – 2 nos (medium size)
- Carrots – 1 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – ½ no
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Ginger – 1 no (1” inch stick)
- Green chillies – 1 no
- Coriander leaves – 2 stalks
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Peel and roughly chop an onion and finely chop the other one and garlic, keep it aside.
- Separate the coriander stalks and leaves, keep it aside.
- Peel and slice (length-wise) the potatoes and carrots, keep it aside.
- Chop the tomatoes, slit the green chillies and keep it aside.
- Preparing Fish stock: Heat 1 ½ litres of water, add roughly chopped onions, fish head and tail pieces, add crushed cumin seeds and black pepper along with roughly chopped coriander stalks and salt. Let it boil for 15 mins or until the fish pieces are cooked well. Strain the fish stock and remove the other.
- Heat a sauce pan or heavy bottomed vessel, add butter, onions, ginger and garlic, cook until they turn transparent.
- Add the carrot, potato and boneless fish pieces, cook for few min and pour in the strained fish stock, cook until the carrots and potatoes become tender.
- Pour in the coconut milk and sprinkle pepper powder and salt, cover and bring it to boil.
- Pour in the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and remove from fire.
CLICK HERE for more Seafood recipes.
Serve hot. Goes out well with toasted bread or with steamed rice.