Nandu Rasam / Spicy Crab Soup is one among the delicious non-vegetarian soup. This can be consumed both as soup and rasam, when Nandu Rasam is served with steamed hot rice it is rasam and when it is served as such in a bowl, it is soup. Nandu Rasam / Spicy Crab soup is most preferably prepared during winter season and perfect when you have sore throat, cold or nose blockage.
CLICK HERE for more Seafood Recipes.
Nandu Rasam (நண்டு ரசம்)/ Spicy Crab soup (நண்டு சூப்)which is very thin in texture, but with delicious taste and wonderful aroma. Mostly crab legs are used in this recipe along with a crab. Also break the crab legs and add it to the soup/rasam, so that the flavor gets well to the rasam/soup. Very simple and easy to prepare, give a try and share your feedback.
Taking it to Fiesta Friday #210 hosted by angie@thenovicegarderner.
- Crab / நண்டு– 1 no
- Crab Legs / நண்டு கால்கள்– 7 nos
- Coriander stalks / கொத்தமல்லி– 5 nos
- Curry leaves / கறிவேப்பிலை– a sprig
- Cumin seeds / சீரகம்– 1 ¼ tsp
- Black pepper / மிளகு– 1 ¼ tsp
- Small Onions / Pearl Onions / சின்ன வெங்காயம்– 20 nos
- Tomato / தக்காளி– 3 nos
- Fenugreek seeds / வெந்தயம் – ¼ tsp
- Red chillies / மிளகாய் வத்தல்– 2 nos
- Garlic / பூண்டு– 5 cloves
- Lemon juice / எலுமிச்சை சாறு– 1 ½ tsp
- Coconut oil / தேங்காய் எண்ணெய்– 1 tbsp
- Salt / உப்பு– 1 tsp
Making of Nandu Rasam / Spicy Crab Soup –
- Peel and finely chop the half of the quantity of small onions.
- Squeeze the tomatoes in water and keep it aside.
- Coarsely crush a tsp of cumin seeds, a tsp of black pepper, garlic cloves, leftover whole onions and half the quantity of coriander stalks.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom vessel, add in the leftover ¼ tsp of cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and wait until they crackle.
- Tear the red chillies into pieces, add it to the vessel and cook for 5 seconds.
- Add in the crushed ingredients all together to the vessel.
- Add the crab and crab legs, sprinkle ½ tsp of salt and cook for 5 mins.
- Pour in the tamarind extract, add salt, mix it well.
- Cover and cook in medium flame for 15 mins or until the crab is cooked well.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves, remove it from fire.
Serve hot as such or with steamed rice.