Turmeric Milk (Manjal Panangarkandu Paal) is prepared during winters in most of the Indian families. Turmeric milk is known as Panagarkandu Paal (பணங்கற்கண்டு பால்) or Manjal Milakku Paal (Turmeric Pepper Milk) in Tamil and known as Haldi Dhoodh in Hindi. In Tamil nadu, we use to prepare this milk with fresh turmeric, dates palm jaggery (panangarkandu), black pepper. Turmeric Milk (Manjal Panangarkandu Paal), is good for sore throat and cold. It helps in weight loss and also helps in better sleeping during nights.
I got Dates Palm Jaggery from Ekgaon, an online portal that connects farmers across India. Click Here for purchase from Ekgaon.
CLICK HERE for more Beverages recipe.
Turmeric Milk (Manjal Panagarkandu Paal)
Turmeric Milk (Panagarkandu Paal) can also prepared with turmeric powder instead of fresh turmeric roots and Jaggery instead of Dates Palm Sugar. A very simple but healthy drink that can be prepared in minutes, with perfection even by beginners. Give a try and share your feedback.
- Turmeric Roots / மஞ்சள் – 30 to 50 gm
- Milk / பால் – 1 litre
- Dates Palm Jaggery / பணங்கறகண்டு – ½ cup
- Black pepper / மிளகு – 2 tsp
Making of Turmeric Milk / Panangarkandu Paal / Haldi Doodh –
- Peel and chop the turmeric roots.
- Crush the turmeric roots using mortar and pestle.
- Add black pepper to turmeric and coarsely crush it.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan, add in the coarsely crushed turmeric roots and black pepper.
- Bring it to boil, add in the dates palm jaggery to it.
- Mix it well, let it boil for few mins in low flame or until the milk thickens.
- Remove it from fire, strain the milk, and transfer it to vessel.
Serve hot or warm.
Note: Make sure to serve hot or warm, otherwise it never works and the taste of black pepper would make the milk more spicy and uncomfortable to drink. You can adjust the quantity of black pepper and dates palm jaggery as you required.