Brinjal (egg plant) Chutney
Brinjal one of my favourite vegetable and I rarely try brinjal dishes, cause my husband never like this vegetable. Have heard that brinjal chutney has strong flavor of brinjal. But today even the one who don’t like it, had it. Yum Yum…
- Eggplant – 1 or Brinjals – 4 to 5
- Green Chillies – 1 no
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Urad dal or Bengal gram – 1 ½ tbsp
- Tamarind – little
- Red Chillies – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Shallots (Small onions) – 4 to 5
- Curry leaves a strand
- Chop Brinjals and onions into small pieces.
- Pour oil in a frying pan, add mustard. Wait till it splutter, then add brinjals.
- Fry till its soften and changes to light brown.
- Keep it aside and let it cool.
- Now add urad dhall, Green chillies and Red chillies to the pan. Saute it till the raw smell goes.
- Let it cool.
- Grind brinjals, tamarind and the dhall coarsely.
- Again add oil to the pan. Add mustard, curry leaves, onions, asafoetida and then the ground paste.
- Stir for about 2 minutes.
This chutney goes well with Idli, dosa also as a side dish for rice. It can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Brinjal lovers can also use it as spread over rotis and chapathis.