A traditional south Indian Gravy made with Yam.
Yam cooked in spicy Tamarind sauce / Karunai kilangu pulikulambu:
- Yam – ½ kg
- Shallots/Small onion – 15 to 20 nos
- Tomatoes – 1 no
- Garlic – 5 Cloves
- Chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Tamarind pulp – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dhall – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Boil the yam – Cut them into small pieces and boil them in a heavy bottomed pan. When they are done, peel the skin. Keep aside.
- Chop Shallots and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Uraddhall, curry leaves. Fry till it splutters.
- Put shallots, fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and fry till it gets tender. Add Chilli powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric powder. Fry it for a minute.
- Add boiled Yam to it. Fry for 5 mins.
- Add little water and then the tamarind paste. Sprinkle Asafoetida and cover with lid.
- Wait till it boils and thickens.
Serve hot with rice and papads.