Sura Puttu or Shark Bhurji is an great feast for seafood lovers. It is very delicate and aromatic in flavors. It’s been my kids favourite dish, because it comes without bones.
- Shark – 1/2 kg
- Shallots (Sambhar onion) – 20 nos
- Green chillies – 4 nos
- Cumin powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 strands
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- Split black gram – 1/4 tsp
- Finely chop the onions and green chillies.
- Boil the fish with salt and turmeric powder.
- After it’s done, Strain it and the crumble the fish, pulling out the bones.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard, black gram, curry leaves and green chillies, wait till it crackle.
- Add onion and sauté till it turns golden brown.
- Add the crumbled fish, cumin powder, pepper powder.
- Saute every now and then, for about 10 – 15 mins.
Serve hot. Goes well with rice and pulikulambu (vegetables cooked in tamarind sauce).
Note: This recipe has a very special and delicious taste when tried with shark. But you can also try it with any fish with less bones.