This curry is an authentic south Indian dish. This is a very aromatic chicken curry made with fresh ingredients and fresh masalas. Instead of ordinary chicken here you could use Naatu Kozhi/country chicken/Cornish Game Hen/ Cornish Rock Hen which adds more taste and aroma to this curry.
- Chicken with bones – ¾ kg
- Big Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 2 nos
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – two strands
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Cloves – 2 nos
- Fennel or Anise – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon – ½ “ stick
For Dry Roast and grinding:
- Shallots/Small onion – 7 nos
- Dry red chillies – 7 nos
- Coriander seeds – 2tbsp
- Raw rice – 1 tsp
- Black pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel or Anise- ½ tsp
- Poppy seeds – ½ tsp
- Coconut flakes or pieces – 1 tbsp
- Clean and cut the chicken into desired pieces.
- Marinate chicken with salt and turmeric powder.
- Now dry roast and let it cool. Once cooled grind the ingredients with water to a paste.
- Finely chop onions and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put Anise, Cloves, cinnamon and curry leaves. Wait till it splutters.
- Now add onion and fry till golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste to it.
- Now stir it till the raw smell goes.
- Add tomatoes and stir till it become mushy.
- Now put the chicken, turmeric powder and stir it well.
- Add the grounded paste, salt and 2 cups of water. Stir it well.
- Cover and cook till the chicken is tender and cooked well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Note: Also you could use shallots instead of big onions, it would increase the taste and flavour.
Serve hot with rice or dosa.