Dosa is been a soul food for most of them in South India. Even we use to have dosa on alternate days or sometimes on daily basis, but still we never get bored to it. Dosa batter is most commonly home made and keep in the refrigerator for days. The very same batter is used to make Idlis, Uthappam. Dosa are mainly served with different types of chutneys , sambhar(curry made with red lentil) and dosa chilli powder.
Preparation of Dosa batter
- Whole Urad dhal/ Black gram – 1 Cup
- Idli rice – 3 Cups
- Methi/Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Soak the rice and dhall separately for 5 hours.
- Grind the dhall first to smooth paste by adding enough water.
- Grind rice to smooth batter by adding enough water.
- Now combine both batter by adding salt in a large bowl.
- Let it ferment lightly covered, for about 6 to 8 hours in a warm place.