This been one of the spicy and tangy, pure South Indian Traditional curry. This goes out well with rice.
- Brinjal – ¼ kg
- Big onion – 2 nos
- Tomato -1 ½ no
- Tamarind – one lemon size
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek/Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Finely chop onions, tomatoes and brinjal to small pieces.
- Soak Tamarind in a cup of water for about 15 mins. Mash tamarind along with water and take out the tamarind from water and keep the tamarind water aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put mustard, blackgram, fenugreek and curry leaves. Wait till it splatters.
- Put onions and fry till they become transparent.
- Put tomatoes and fry till they become mushy.
- Put brinjal and fry it for 5 mins.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Stir it well for 5 mins.
- Pour tamarind water and a cup of water. Wait till it boil. Cover with the lid.
- Wait till the brinjals are cooked and the oil get separated.
Serve hot with rice.