- Fish – ½ kg
- Big onions – 2 nos
- Tomatoes – 2 nos
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ½ tsp
- Tamarind paste – 2 tbsp or one lemon sized tamarind
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Clean and cut the fish to desired shape.
- Finely chop onions, tomatoes and garlic.
- Marinate the fish with turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 mins. Then squeeze the tamarind along with the water and take out the tamarind flesh from water. Kepp the water aside.
- Heat oil in kadai. Pour oil. Put mustard, blackgram and curry leaves.
- Put onions and garlic. Fry till they become transparent.
- Put tomatoes and fry till they become mushy.
- Put all the spice powders one by one along with salt. Stir it till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour 3 cups of water and wait till it boil.
- Wait till the water reduces to half the quantity.
- Put the fish and cover with the lid.
- Wait till it gets cooked. Open the lid and put the stove in sim.
- Wait till the oil separates.’
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice and dosa.