This is a traditional recipe prepared in all over the southern part of India. We use to have it as sidedish for rice during lunch. This is the richest source of Vitamin A,C and folate.
- Tropical Amaranth/Siru keerai – 3 bunches
- Big onion – 1 no
- Red chillies – 3 nos
- Grated coconut – 1 ½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Separate the spinach from the strand. Wash it in water.
- Finely chop onions and red chillies to small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put mustard seeds, blackgram, red chillies and curry leaves. Wait till it crackle.
- Put onions and fry till they become transparent.
- Put the spinach(Tropical Amaranth/Siru keerai)and salt. Fry it for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle water on the top of the spinach and cover with the lid. Wait till its cooked.
- Put coconut and fry it with the spinach, till it becomes dry.
Serve hot with rice. It goes out well with rice and fish curry.