Rice blended with sambhar and vegetables. One of my husband’s favourite recipe from my hands. Sambhar rice takes time, needs lot of ingredients but the taste and flavour of it makes us do very often.
- Boiled rice – 2 Cup
- Toor dhall/Split Red gram – ½ cup
- Big onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 ½ nos
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Green peas – 50 gm
- Carrot – 1 no
- Beans – 7 nos
- Radish – 1 no
- Tamarind – one lemon sized
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Mustard – ¼ tsp
- Methi/Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin/Jeera seeds – ¼ tsp
- Sambhar powder – 3 tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Ghee – 3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook split red gram with turmeric powder and little salt. Then mash it.
- Finely chop onions and tomatoes into small pieces. Slice carrot, radish and beans.
- Boil green peas, carrot, beans, radish.
- Soak tamarind in water. Then squeeze out the tamarind. Take out the tamarind and keep the paste a side.
- In a kadai, heat oil. Put mustard, methi seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait till it crackle.
- Put onions, garlic and fry till it become transparent.
- Put tomatoes and wait till it become mushy.
- Now put all the boiled vegetables and pour the boiled split red gram.
- Pour 2 cups of water, turmeric powder, asafetida, sambhar powder(get in all Indian grocery shops),salt.
- Cover with the lid. Bring it to boil.
- Pour in the tamarind paste. Stir it well. Cover with the lid and bring it to boil.
- Put the boiled rice and stir well. Cover with the lid for 5 mins.
- Put the stove in sim till ¾ of the water evaporates.
- Switch of the stove and Pour ghee on the top and stir it well.
- Garnish with coriander.
Serve hot with appalam/papadum and curd chutney.
Note: Papad – You get in all Indian grocery stores. Deep fry in oil and serve it. Also can be stored in airtight box for about 2 days.