- Big onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 ½ no
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Greengram dal – 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Sambhar powder – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Boil greengram dal in water. Mash it nicely.
- Finely chop onion, garlic and tomato into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Put mustard, blackgram, curry leaves. Wait till it crackle.
- Put onions, garlic and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Put tomatoes and fry till it become mushy.
- Pour the greengram dal. Pour 2 cups of water.
- Put sambhar powder, salt and asafoetida. Stir well.
- Cover with the lid and let it boil.
- When the raw smell goes, remove the lid.
- Let it become little thick and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Idli, Dosa, Bhajji and Vada.