This is an authentic curry which is made all over Tamilnadu. I have cooked this recipe with the combination of drumstick, you can also try it with brinjal/eggplant or both drumstick and brinjal. This goes out well with rice, pappadam and omelette.
- Cow peas/Karamani – 4 tbsp
- Big onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Drumstick – 1 no
- Tamarind – 1 lemon sized
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Cumin/jeera seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Dry roast cowpeas/karamani in kadai till the raw smell goes.
- Boil the cowpeas/karamani. Should be cooked 75%.
- Finely chop onion and tomato into small pieces and chop drumstick lengthwise for about 4 cms.
- Soak tamarind in water and after 10 mins, squeeze tamarind with water and take out the flesh of the tamarind.
- Ground coconut and jeera to a fine smooth paste.
- Heat oil in kadai. Put the mustard, split blackgram and curry leaves, wait till it crackle.
- Put onions and fry till they are transclusent.
- Put tomatoes and fry till they become mushy.
- Put drumstick and fry it with all the spice powders , salt and coconut paste. Fry till the raw smell goes.
- Pour in the cowpeas/karamani with the water. Stir in. Wait till it boil.
- Pour the tamarind extract and cover with the lid.
- Wait till the oil separates.
Serve hot with rice and pappadam.