Curd rice is also known as Yogurt rice, it’s served with pickle. It is served as the end up dish with every south Indian meals. Kids love them a lot. Curd rice can be seasoned with different ingredients such as spicy curd rice and sweet curd rice. One of the most important, but the right word than important is it’s the must in variety rice.
- Steamed rice (raw rice/pacharisi) – 2 cup
- Curd/Yogurt – ½ litre
- Milk – 1 cup
- Ginger(grated) – 2 tsp
- Green chillies – 2 nos(chopped)
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – a handful(finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Chop the green chilies, peeled ginger and coriander leaves to fine pieces.
- Mash the steamed rice in a wide mouth bowl.
- Pour in curd and milk, mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add in mustard, black gram, curry leaves, asafoetida, ginger, green chillies and bengal gram.
- Cook until the raw smell goes or until the spices splatter and the gram’s turns golden brown in colour.
- Pour it to the rice and mix well.
- Add in the required amount of salt and then coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Set it aside for an hour.
Serve with pickle or any deep fry as you wish may be vegetarian or non vegetarian. Usually I accompany with chicken kebab and pickle or potato fry or cauliflower fry and pickle.