Prawn Gravy / Yera Thokku is one of the common gravy in my home town – Thoothukudi. The gravy goes out well with steamed rice, rasam and omelette or Coconut milk rice, Pulav or Chapathi. We use 2 to 4 tbsps of oil, do not reduce the quantity of oil, it result in lack of taste, aroma, texture and color. Let me share the recipe…
- Shallots / small onions – 20 nos
- Big onion – 1no
- Tomato – 1 ½ nos
- Green chillies – 1 no
- Ginger – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Clean the prawns/shrimps.
- Finely chop the shallots, big onion and tomatoes. Slit the green chilli.
- Crush garlic and ginger.
- Heat oil in kadai.
- Put mustard, blackgram, methi, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put onions, garllic and ginger. Fry till they become transparent.
- Put tomatoes and fry till they become mushy.
- Put all the spice powders, salt and prawns/shrimps. Fry them till the raw smell goes.
- Pour a cup of water and cover with the lid.
- Wait till the prawns get cooked.
- Remove the lid and put it in sim, till the oil gets separates.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot. This goes out well with plain rice, curd rice, sambhar sadham and pulav.
Making of Prawn Gravy / Year Thokku –
Thanks Kavitha for spending your precious time. Keep checking out the other recipes…