Arakeerai masiyal is good for health and also taste delicious when served as sidedish with curries done with tamarind sauce (puzhikuzhambu or fish curry). It is also served for kids at early stage with mashed rice. The water drained after boiling this spinach can be consumed as soup.
- Amaranthus tritis / Arakeerai – 2 bunch
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Tamarind – a pea sized
- Big Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Red chillies – 2 nos
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Separate the leaves from stalk and wash them nicely.
- Drain the water.
- Chop onions and tomatoes.
- Boil water in a kadai and put the leaves, onions, tomatoes, garlic, little salt and tamarind.
- Cover with the lid and allow to boil them forabout 15 mins.
- When its cooked, drain the water.
- Let the leaves cool, then grind them in mixie.
- Heat oil in kadai. Put mustard, blackgram, red chillies and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Pour the ground once into it. Add salt if needed and stir in for 5 mins.
Serve hot with rice. This goes out well with fish curry and all curries made of tamarind sauce(puzhikuzhambu).