Kara kuzhambu is a simple recipe, but tastes good. It can be done very quickly in the busy mornings. I have cooked with brinjal/egg plant, but you could try this also with sundakai or manathakkali vathal, drumstick. Also you could refrigerate this for about 3 days, as the days grew the curry becomes tasty.
- Big onion – 1 no
- Small onion / Shallots – 10 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Brinjal / Egg plant – 4 nos
- Tamarind – a gooseberry sized
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Sambhar powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly oil – 3 tsp
- Soak tamarind in water for abt 15 mins. Squeeze tamarind in water and remove the flesh.
- Finely chop onions, tomato, garlic and chop brinjal lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put mustard, blackgram, methi, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put all the spice powder and salt to the tamarind water and mix well.
- Put onions and garlic in the kadai. Fry till they become transparent.
- Put tomato and fry till they become mushy.
- Put brinjal and salt and fry them for 5 mins.
- Pour the tamarind water. Wait till it boil.
- Cover with the lid and wait till the brinjal gets cooked.
- Remove the lid and reduce the flame.
- Switch off the flame when the oil separates.
Serve hot with rice.