Kashmiri Mutton briyani is rich in ingredients with lots of nuts and spieces. Its very appetizing and delicious. It is an no garlic and onion recipe.
- Mutton (big pieces) – ½ Kg
- Long grain (basmathi) rice – 2 ½ cup
- Curd/Yogurt – ½ cup
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Bay leaf – 2 nos
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Shajeera – 2 tsp
- Cashewnuts – 10 nos
- Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder – ¼ tsp
- Saffron – 6 strands
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Mint leaves – a handful
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Marinade meat with chilli powder, curd, turmeric powder and salt for an hour.
- In a tablespoon of water water, soak saffron and let it dissolve.
- Cook basmathi rice with little salt. Once cooked drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cloves, cardamom, bay leaves, shajeera, coriander powder, nutmeg powder and garam masala.
- Fry for few mins till the raw smell goes off.
- Put the meat along with the marination.
- Fry well till the meat is browned and curd is absorbed.
- Add enough water to cook and cook the meat till its tender.
- Divide the rice into two equal portions. Take portion of rice, add saffron milk, half amount of meat, half of the coriander and mint leaves and mix it.
- Now put this in a kadai. Cover this with white rice and remaining meat and garnish the leftover coriander and mint leaves.
- Heat a tbsp gee in tadka and fry cashew nuts till golden brown.
- Pour this to the top of the rice. Sprinkle water on the rice.
- Cover the kadai tightly. Cook in sim for 30 mins.
- Open the lid and mix the rice well.
Serve hot with shahi shorba and onion raita.