Phirni / Feerni is a wonderful, creamy dessert made with ground rice, milk, sugar and some strands of safrron. This tastes great when flavoured with saffron r rose essence.This is commoly prepared in punjabi houses and traditionally served in earthernware bowls. Phirni /Feerni is commonly prepared for Holi and Ramzan / Ramadan all over India.
I have prepared it for Raksha Bandhan along with Jeera poli and Milk Poli.
CLICK HERE for more Ramzan / Ramadan recipes.
- Long grained/Basmathi rice – ½ cup
- Milk – 1 litre
- Almonds – 15 nos
- Sugar or condensed milk – to taste
- Salt – a pinch
- Cardomom powder – ½ tsp
- Saffron – 10 -15 strands
- Dried Rose petals for garnishing
Making of Phirni / Feerni –
- Rinse the rice in water. Drain and let them dry on their own.
- Once dried, grind them in a mixie. Grind the rice till the consistency remains rawa/suji/semolina.
- Now spread them in a kitchen towel and allow it to dry for few minutes.
- Boil milk in a non-stick kadai. When boiled take a tbsp of milk in a bowl and put few strands of saffron to it. Let it dissolve.
- Now put the grounded rice to the milk and start stirring every now and then, so that no lumps are formed.
- Boil almonds in a bowl. When boiled, let them cool and peel of the skin.
- Cut them into pieces lengthwise.
- When the rice gets cooked, Pour in the condensed milk or sugar and start stirring continously for abt 5 mins.
- Now put half of the sliced almonds, cardamom powder and saffron dissolved milk.
- Stir it for about few mins, till it thickens.
Serve hot or chilled. Garnish with the almonds and rose petals before serving.
Note: If adding rose essence instead of saffron, pour the essence once it’s done.