I made this Punjabi chicken recipe only once, but it tastes good. It has too many flavours and taste. This gravy gives both rich in look because of its red colour and taste because of the cashewnuts in it. It goes out well with any kind of Indian flat bread or plain rice or pulav. We can use chicken pieces with bones.
- Chicken – ½ Kg
- Onion – 3 nos
- Tomato – 2 nos
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Ginger – 2 inch pieces
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Cashewnuts – 15 nos
- Cardomom – 2 nos
- Cloves – 5 nos
- Curd/yogurt – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Grind garlic and mix it with curd/yogurt and keep aside.
- Soak cashewnuts in water for 15 mins.
- Grind coconut and soaked cashewnuts to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Grind 1 onion, ginger, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds together to a fine paste.
- Finely slice the remaining 2 onions to thin pieces and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add suagar and stir till it becomes brown.
- Put cardamom and cloves and then onions and fry till the onions are golden brown.
- Add turmeric powder and ground masala and fry till the raw smell goes out.
- Add yogurt/curd mixed with garlic and fry till they become dry.
- Add tomato and fry till they become mushy.
- Add chicken and coconut paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Put salt and then pour ½ cup of water and cover with lid and cook on low flame till the chicken gets cooked and the gravy gets thickens.
- Stir in once in a while so that the gravy does not stick to the bottom of the kadai.
- Remove the cover and garnish them with coriander leaves.
Sere hot with chapathi, rotis, naan or rice.