Paal paniyaram is a simple comfort sweet dish of chettinad. These are nothing but, small white balls are soaked in sweetened fresh coconut milk flavoured with cardamom. It’s totally a mouth drooling dish. Traditionally no nuts or saffron are used.
- Raw rice – ½ cup
- Blackgram / Whole urad dal – ½ cup
- Milk (Boiled and cooled) – 1/3 cup
- Coconut Milk – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – 1/8 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak rice and dal separately in water for about 2 hrs.
- Grind it to a fine paste by sprinkling water. Add salt and mix both the batter together.
- The batter should be thick and fluffy.
- Heat oil in kadai, drop the batter in a small spoon.
- It will puff well then turn the sides and cook till its golden brown.
- Drain it in a tissue paper and keep aside.
- In a bowl, Add coconut milk, milk, cardamom powder, sugar and mix well.
- Drop the paniyarams into the prepared milk, let it soak for half an hour.
Serve it with coconut milk in small bowls.