A perfect gravy for briyani, we usually get this as a free side gravy as accompaniment for briyani in hotels. Keeping that in mind I have tried out a perfect and a best from my hands. Also this goes out well with paratha, idli and dosa. I have made this gravy with chicken, but this can be made with
- non-veg options like mutton, prawns and boiled eggs.
- veggie options like potato, mushrooms and long peppers.
CLICK HERE for 10+ Biryani recipes.
- Chicken with bones – ¼ kg
- Dry red chillies – 6 nos
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Peppercorns – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Anise / Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon stick – ½ “ inch
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Star anise – 2 nos
- Onion – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 ½ no
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Ginger – 1 “ inch
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Coriander leaves – a bunch
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Fresh coconut paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Making of Perfect chicken gravy for Biryani –
- Dry roast and grind red chillies, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds, anise, cinnamon stick, cloves -2, cardamom – 1 no, star anise – 1 no to paste by adding little water.
- Keep a tbsp of onions aside. Grind onions, green chillies, garlic and ginger to a smooth paste with little paste.
- Chop tomatoes to medium size.
- Heat oil in kadai. Put a star anise, a cardamom, 2 cloves and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put onions and fry them till they turn transparent.
- Pour the onion paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour the masala paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Put turmeric powder and chicken pieces. Fry till they are tender.
- Put tomatoes and pour ½ cup of water.
- Cover with the lid and bring it to boil.
- Pour the coconut paste and stir it well.
- Bring it to boil and wait for the chicken to be cooked.
- Garnish coriander leaves.