- Purple Brinjals – 4 to 5
- Fresh curd/Yogurt – 2 cups
- Anise/Fennel seeds – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Dry Ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – ½ tsp
- Cardamoms – 2 nos
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Dry roast fennel seeds and powder them.
- Whisk the curd nicely.
- Slice the brinjals/eggplants lengthwise.
- Take all the spice powders (fennel seed powder, asafetida, red chilli powder, cardamom powder, dry ginger powder) and add 3 tbsp of water and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the mixed spice paste and fry it gently. Take care not to burn the masala.
- Add the brinjal pieces and mix well and fry for 5 mins, until the masala mixture coats the brinjal pieces nicely.
- Cover and cook for 10 to 15 mins, until the brinjals are cooked.
- Add salt to brinjals and mix well.
- Remove kadai from the flame and leave it aside for a minute. Add beaten curd to it and mix well.
- Now bring the kadai back to the flame and stir continuously otherwise the curd might get curdle.
- Switch off the flame when the curd stars to boil.
Serve hot with Pulao’s or Briyani’s or Roti’s.