Yakhni pulao is a nawabi recipe made with lot of care and attention like the briyani. It is a must serve on all occasions in Pakistan. It is called as “Yakhni pulao” as the rice is cooked in Yakhni which means “soup” or “stock”. The stock is made by cooking the meat, chicken or veggies with the spices depending on our desire. I have made the stock with chicken, since it’s an version of chicken. The chicken is half cooked in the stock and then again it’s cooked with the rice. The chicken is cooked in with water with spices tied in a muslin cloth called as bouquet garni. The bouquet garni is kept with chicken, water and salt and boiled until the chicken is half done. Then the bouquet garni is squeezed and discarded. The stock is strained and the chicken is kept aside. Then the rice is boiled with this stock, yogurt, green chillies and cardamom. Once done, it’s being garnished with fried onions, mint leaves and cashews. But here I have garnished it just with fried onions. It is served with raita.
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Peppercorns – 15 nos
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Ginger – 1” inch stick
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Shajeera/caraway seeds – 2 tsp
- Anise/Saunf – 1 tsp
- Long grained( Basmathi ) rice – 3 cups
- Onions – 2 nos
- Green chillies – 3 nos
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Chicken stock – 5 cups
- Salt to taste.
- In a muslin cloth take peppercorns, cumin seeds, anise, garlic, ginger and shajeera and tie it together.
- Take 6 cups of water in a heavy bottomed bowl, bring it to boil. Drop the muslin bag, chicken pieces and salt.
- Cover and cook it in low flame for about an hour. Drain the water and keep the water and chicken pieces separately in a bowl.
- Thinly slice the onions, slit the green chillies.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Fry onions till golden brown.
- Remove half of the onions from the pan and add yogurt/curd, cardamoms and green chillies in the remaining half and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to it and cover with the lid. Bring it to boil.
- When it begins to boil, add the rice and salt.
- Stir gently to mix all the ingredients.
- Cover tightly with the lid.
- Remove the lid, when the rice is cooked.
- Sprinkle the fried onions on it.
Serve hot with raita.