Duck is a staple food of people living around the region of canals and lakes. This is my first attempt towards this Duck meat. Had duck meat in a hotel, it taste good and also the aroma was very good. So got some Duck meat and tired out in my kitchen. When cooking the duck meat we need only very little oil, since it contains lots of fat in it. So I prepared this Duck meat for rice, it turned out well.
- Duck – 1 Kg (medium pieces)
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Ginger – a small piece (crushed)
- Garlic – 5 cloves (crushed)
- Peppercorns – ½ tsp (crushed)
- Fennel seeds – ½ tsp (crushed)
- Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Shallots / Small onions – 1 cup
- Ginger – 1’ piece
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Green chillies – 3 nos
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Coconut milk – ½ cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean and wash the duck well.
- Soak them in water and lemon juice for a couple of mins. Drain it. Cut into medium sizes.
- Marinate the duck with the ingredients given under marination for atleast 30 mins.
- After 30 mins, pressure cook the meat, till will take time to get cooked compared to chicken.
- Finely chop the onions, ginger and garlic.
- Heat oil in a kdai. Saute thinly sliced onions till they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chillies and cook till the colour changes.
- Add chilli powder, curry leaves and stir for few mins.
- Add the cooked meat and bring it to boil. Adjust the salt.
- Add the coconut milk, pepper powder and garam masala. Bring it to boil.
- Cook in low flame for 15-20 mins, till the gravy thickens and the oil floats on the top.
- Transfer it to the serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
Goes out well with rice, Idli and dosa.