Blackgram rice is the combination of blackgram and rice (do not use long grain). It is an authentic dis of Tirunelveli, the southern part of Tamilnadu. This is accompanied with Ellu thogayal / Sesame chutney. This is served for lunch. It is packed with lot of proteins and helps in building the bones.
- Blackgram/Black uraddal – 1 cup
- Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 7 cups
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Methi seeds – ½ tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Dry roast blackgram for about 20 mins.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Put cumin, methi seeds, grated coconut and curry leaves. Wait till it crackle.
- Put rice, blackgram and salt. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour the water, put asafoetida and cover with the lid.
- Wait till it boil.
Serve hot with Ellu thogayal/Sesame chutney.
Note: Black gram takes time to boil. So you could also half boil the black gram separately and then again cook the rice along with the blackgram.