Lamb head / Thala curry is one of the most delicious curry among all the other spare parts of Lamb. I prepare it whenever I get Lamb head. Other than brain you could use all the head pieces which includes eyes, tongue, ear and so on. This goes out well with rice, idli, dosa and so on. I have tried out my own version of this curry without coconut. It was delicious and aromatic.
- Lamb head / Aatu thala – ½ kg
- Big onions – 3 nos
- Cumin seeds – 3 tsp
- Peppercorns – 3 tsp
- Curry masala powder – 1 tsp (Available in all Indian stores)
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Ginger – 2” inch stick
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Finely chop the onions and crush them.
- Peel and crush the ginger and garlic.
- Crush cumin seeds and peppercorns.
- Heat oil in kadai or pressure cooker.
- Put mustard seeds, ¼ tsp of cumin seeds, methi seeds and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put onion, ginger-garlic and fry them till they turn golden brown.
- Put the crushed spices and fry them till the raw smell goes off.
- Put the Lamb head and fry them for a minute.
- Put turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt.
- Fry it till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour 2 cups of water and allow it to boil.
- Put curry masala powder and stir it well.
- Cover with the lid and wait till get cooked or pressure cook it.
- When it’s cooked, remove the lid and put it in sim. Wait till the oil separates and floats on the top.
Serve hot with dosa, idli, rice and so on.