This snake gourd recipe is common among all south Indian houses. Like all vegetables it also has a lot of health benefits. It is good for diabetics, has anti inflammatory properties, cooling properties. This dish is a combination of snake gourd and black gram(lentils) seasoned with aromatic spices. It is a must in most of the vegetarian feast.This recipe is quick, simple, delicious and can be served with rice or with flat Indian breads like phulkas ir chapathis. Also it’s rich in fibre and helps prevent constipation. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Snake gourd – 3 nos
- Split Bengal gram / Channa dal / KadalaParuppu – 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Big onions – 1 no
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Peel, remove the seeds and finely chop the snake gourd into pieces.
- Finely chop the onions and slit green chillies.
- Half boil the bengal gram with garlic in a cup of water.
- Heat oil in kadai,add mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait till it crackle.
- Add onions and green chillies, cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped snake gourd, cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt, cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour the boiled bengal gram along with water and cover with the lid.
- Remove the lid when they are cooked.
- Add the grated coconut and cook them till the raw smell goes off.
Serve hot with rice and rotis.