Tomato rice or Tomato Briyani is one of the south Indian style rice preparations. It is not only delicious and flavorful; it’s also easy to make. Whenever we feel lazy or tired, this would be prepared in few minutes. I use to prepare tomato rice in two ways. Now will go for the first version which is also known as “Tomato Briyani” among few of us.
- Long grain(Basmathi) rice – 2 cups
- Tomato – 3 nos (medium sized)
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Onion – 1 no
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cinnamon – 1 “ inch stick
- Coriander leaves – 5 to 6 strands
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Finely chop onions and slit the green chillies.
- Chop tomato into medium size and grind them to a fine paste with little water.
- Heat ghee and oil in a kadai. Put cloves, cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon and fry for a minute.
- Put the green chillies, coriander leaves and ginger-garlic paste and fry them till the raw smell goes.
- Put the onions and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Put all the spice powders and fry them till the raw smell goes off.
- Put the rice and fry them for a minute.
- Pour 1 ½ cup of tomato paste and 1 ½ cup of water.
- Cover with lid and wait till gets boiled.
Serve hot with raita. I have accompanied this with cucumber raita.