Mughalai Chicken Handi is Karachi’s popular dish. They make chicken handi with khoya, almonds and cream. Ithas a creamy texture and flavor.
- Chicken boneless – ½ kg
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Tomato – 1 no
- Boiled onion paste – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cream – 100 ml
- Almonds/Badam – 6 nos
- Boiled onion paste: Chop onions to medium pieces and boil them in water along with peppercorns – 10 nos, cloves – 3 nos and cinnamon – 1” inch bark. Let it cool and grind them to a fine paste.
- Blanch (soak almonds/badam in hot water for few minutes and peel off the skin)
- Grind tomato to fine paste.
- Grind coconut and almonds/badam.
- Finely chop ginger and garlic to small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put ginger and garlic pieces, fry them till they change to golden brown colour.
- Add chicken and fry for few mins.
- Add all the spice powders, salt and fenu greek leaves. Fry them for few minutes.
- Add boiled onion paste, tomato paste and coconut-almond paste and mix thoroughly.
- Cover, sprinkle water and stir in for every 5 mins. Wait till the chicken gets cooked.
- Add fresh cream to make gravy.
- After 5mins, add in the khoya and cook for few mins.
Garnish with coriander or mint leaves. Serve hot with Briyani’s, pulav’s and rotis.