Drumstick leaves (Murunga keerai) are an excellent source of protein that can be rarely found in any other herbs and leafy vegetables. Also they are rich in Vitamin-A, B complex. It is also good source of Iron content, so it’s good for pregnant ladies. This is one of the delicious dish which goes out well with sambhar and any non vegetarian curry most preferred with fish. I have tried out this with egg, but if don’t want egg you could substitute grated coconut.
- Drumstick leaves – 2 bunches
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ½ tsp
- Onion – 1 no(medium sized)
- Red chillies – 4 nos
- Salt to taste
- Eggs – 4 nos
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Separate the leaves from the stalk and clean them with water.
- Heat oil in kadai. Put mustard, blackgram and red chillies.
- Wait till they crackle.
- Put the drumstick leaves and fry them for a while with salt. Fry till the colour of the leaves changes to dark green.
- Pour a cup of water, cover and cook till the leaves are boiled.
- Break the eggs to it, put salt for eggs and keep on stirring till the egg gets fried.
- When it becomes dry, transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with sambhar or fish curry.