Falafel is a deep fried ball or patty made from ground chickpeas. Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern food. Falafel balls may be eaten alone as a snack or appetizers. These fritters are now found as a replacement of meat, in the form of street food. It is a nutritious food, because of the content of chickpeas in it. Chickpeas are also low in fat and salt and contains no cholesterol. Pumpkin is one of my favorite food but family never likes to pumpkin. So I thought of producing pumpkin with chickpeas as Pumpkin Falafel.
- Pumpkin – ½ kg
- Boiled Chickpeas / Boiled Channa – 100 gm
- Fennel seeds – 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 5 to 6 strands
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Besan – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Dry roast coriander and fennel seeds. Crush them together.
- Heat half tsp of oil in a kadai and fry cumin seeds for a minute and then put the pumpkin and fry till they change the colour.
- Separate the leaves from the coriander strands.
- Let all the ingredients to cool.
- Take pumpkin, crushed ingredients, coriander leaves, salt. Grind it by adding little water to a coarse paste.
- Drop in the lemon juice and besan. Mix it well with the batter.
- Roll it to small balls and slightly tap them.
- Heat oil in a kadai in high flame and now let them one by one and deep fry them.
Serve hot with Tomato sauce.