Sundaikkai is known as Turkey Berry. Sundaikkai vathtal is nothing but the sun-dried Turkey berry. It is an authentic and traditional recipe of Tamilians. This curry is also known as vathal kuzhambu. The sour and hot taste makes this curry delicious.
- Sundakkai vathal / Sun dried Turkey Berry – 20 nos
- Red chillies – 5 nos
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Channa dal / Bengal gram – 1 tbsp
- Tamarind – a gooseberry sized
- Raw rice – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – two strands
- Dry roast red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns, turmeric powder, channadal, raw rice, curry leaves (a strand).
- Grind it to a fine powder.
- Prepare Tamarind extract.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the sundavathal/sun dried Turkey Berry and fry them till they change colour.
- Remove the sundavathal / Turkery Berry to a plate. Keep it aside.
- In the same kadai, add mustard, blackgram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Now pour in the tamarind extract and bring it to boil.
- Sprinkle the grounded powder and stir well, so that no lumps are formed.
- Bring it to boil and wait till the curry gets thickens and the oil separates.
- Sprinkle the fried Sundavathal/Turkey berry and Keep in low flame for 5 mins.