Pongal is one of t most popular four day long harvest festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu. It falls in the mid of January. It is like a Thanksgiving occasion to nature. Sakkarai pongal is a delicacy made from newly harvested rice. It is cooked with jaggery, ghee, cashew nuts and is offered to sun god. Let us move to the recipe…
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Moong dal / Green gram dal – ½ cup
- Jaggery – ¾ cup (Crushed)
- Cashew nut – 2 tbsp
- Raisinis – 2 tsp
- Cardamom – 4 pods
- Ghee / Clarified butter – ¼ cup
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Milk –1 cup
- Dry roast rice and moong dal with ghee in a kadai.
- Pressure cook both rice and greengram dal /moong dal together for about 2 whistles in 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water.
- Crush the jaggery to pieces.
- Open the cooker and put the jaggery to it, stir it for a while, till it gets dissolved in the rice. Put the stove in sim.
- Fry cashew nuts and raisins in ghee to golden brown colour.
- Stir in the rice every now and then.
- Put the grated coconut to the rice and continue stirring till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in the roasted cashew nuts and raisins along with the ghee.
Serve hot. This goes out well with breakfast and also can be served as Dessert.