Vinayakar Chaturthi is the great Vinayakar festival and also the birthday of Lord Vinayagar or Pillaiyar. Vinayaka Chaturthi is also known as “Ganesh Chaturthi” in Maharashtra and North Indian States. It is observed in the 4th day after new moon in the Tamil month – Aavani (August-September). This year 2014 it is celebrated on August 19th. Lord Ganesha is the elephant-headed God who is worshipped first in any prayers and before commencing any new ventures.
He is known as to be the Lord of Power and Wisdom. He is the Lord who is believed to remove all obstacles on the path of the spiritual aspirant, and bestows upon him wordly as well as spiritual success. It is believed that worshipping Lord Ganesha during this festival will bring Good luck and Prosperity to the family.
Video recipe for Vinayagar Chaturthi / Ganesh Chaturthi recipes in youtube –
Vinayaka Chaturti Festival is celebrated with the clay Idol of Lord Vinayagar. Those Vinayagar idols are kept at home and street corners and performed pooja. For pooja we make garland with Arugam pullu (Bermuda grasss) and Erukampoo (Crown flower). Also they decorate the Lord with other flowers, umbrellas and so on. Later on the 11th day, those Vinayagar Idols are taken through the roads in a procession with dance and songs to immersed in sea or river or well.
According to the Hindu Vedic Sculptures, it is believed that Ganesha was born in the Madhyahana Kaal (Afternoon), as this Kaal timings are considered as the most appropriate tem to worship Lord Ganesha.
Also we offer Modak, Appam, Fruits, Aval, Poori and so on for Lord Ganesha and do our prayers.
I have prepared and offered Lord Ganesha:
- Ellu urundai / Black Sesame balls
- Channa sundal / Fried Chickpeas
- Nei appam / Sweet rice and banana fritters
- Modak / Sweet Dumplings
- Ulundhu vadai / Blackgram fritter
- Aval payasam /Poha kheer / Flattened rice pudding.
- Modagam – 2
- Instant Wheat Appam / Paniyaram
- Sweet Kozhukattai
- Spicy Kozhukattai
- Besan Ladoo
- Rava Ladoo / Semolina Ladoo
- Pearl Millet Ladoo / Bajra Ladoo / Kambu Ladoo
- Milky Poha / Milky Aval
- Fried White Channa / Kondakadalai Sundal
- Milk Rice balls / Paal Kozhukattai
- Moong Bean / Green gram / Paasipayaru Sundal
- Tapioca pearls Kheer / Javvarisi Payasam
- Paal Kozhukattai / Milky Rice Dumplings
- Ragi Pidi Kozhukattai / Finger Millet Dumplings
- No Sugar Nutty Modagam
- Fruit Modagam
- Somas / Karanji