Lamb chops are great meal that have tender, juicy meat. Lamb chops is excellent when seasoned with garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, fennel and mustard. Here I have flavored it with garlic and fennel seeds as an authentic south Indian (Tamilian) style. It can be served as a thick gravy or as a dry dish.
- Mutton chops – ¾ kg
- Onions – 2 nos
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Tomato – 2 nos
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Coconut pieces – 3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 ½ tsp
- Black Pepper corns – 1 ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Clean the mutton chops in water for 3 to 4 times.
- Finely chop the onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves. Keep a handful of chopped onions aside for grinding the masala paste.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Put mustard seeds, ½ tsp of Fennel seeds and curry leaves, followed by onions and sauté till they become transparent.
- Put ginger garlic paste and half the coriander leaves and sauté till the raw smell goes off.
- Now grind the coconut, onions, fennel seeds and black peppercorns by adding little water to fine paste.
- Put the mutton chops and put turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Saute them for 5 mins and pour in the grounded masala and again sauté for 5 mins, till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water, let it boil. Cover the pressure cooker and wait for 3 whistles.
- Transfer it to a bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot. It goes out well with steamed rice and rasam and when its being gravy it goes out well with Dosa and Idli.