- Chow-chow / Chayote squash – 2 nos
- Onions – 1 no
- Curry leaves – a string
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Channa dal – 1 ½ tbsp
- Red chillies – 4 nos
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Finely chop in the onions. Clean, peel, take out the seed and finely chop the chow-chow/Chayote squash.
- Dry roast channa dal, fennel seeds and red chillies in a kadai.
- Let it cool and grind them to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put mustard seeds and curry leaves, wait till they splutter.
- Put the onion and garlic. Fry them till they are golden brown.
- Put the chopped chow-chow / chayote squash and salt. Fry them for few mins.
- Pour in half cup of water, cover and cook, till the chow-chow is done 80%.
- Put the grounded spice powder and keep on stirring, till it gets mixed with the chow-chow.
- Remove from the flame, when the chow-chow is done.
Serve hot.I have accompained this with pumpkin curry. I have accompained this with Pumpkin curry.