Idli Upma is a soft, spongy and melt in mouth breakfast or tea-time dish made with leftover Idli. Idli upma is commonly made among all south Indian families and particularly after the movie(tamil) “Suriyavamasam”, it has became most familiar among all Tamilians.
CLICK HERE for more Breakfast recipes.
- Idli – 3 nos
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split black gram – ¼ tsp
- Bengal gram / Kadala paruppu – ¼ tsp
- Onion – 1 no
- Red chillies – 3 nos(pinched)
- Curry leaves – a String
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop the onions. Crush the idli into small pieces with your hands.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put mustard, blackgram, bengal gram, curryleaves and red chillies. Saute them till they splatter.
- Put the onions and fry till they are transparent. Sprinkle asafetida.
- Put the crushed idli and keep on stirring, till it turns golden brown and becomes little crunchy and let the pieces separate.
- Transfer it to bowl.