Idli Upma is a soft, spongy and melt in mouth breakfast or tea-time dish made with leftover Idli. Idli upma is commonly made among all south Indian families and particularly after the movie(tamil) “Suriyavamasam”, it has became most familiar among all Tamilians.
CLICK HERE for more Breakfast recipes.
Also, a best way to re-use the leftover Idli’s from Breakfast, usually this will be our dinner. It tastes yum when served with sambar, chutney or sugar.
- Idli – 3 nos
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split black gram – ¼ tsp
- Bengal gram / Kadala paruppu – ¼ tsp
- Onion – 1 no
- Red chillies – 3 nos(pinched)
- Curry leaves – a String
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop the onions. Crush the idli into small pieces with your hands.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put mustard, blackgram, bengal gram, curryleaves and red chillies. Saute them till they splatter.
- Put the onions and fry till they are transparent. Sprinkle asafetida.
- Put the crushed idli and keep on stirring, till it turns golden brown and becomes little crunchy and let the pieces separate.
- Transfer it to bowl.
Serve hot with sugar or chutney or Idli chilli powder.
Wow looks tempting!
Thanks, Give a try ☺
Loved it but I have had enough for my life time in my hostel so I make fried idlys now 😉
Great idea. I have sometimes made masala idli – from leftover idles! I turns out very well.
Do try this also 🙂
This is simply amazing..everyone in my family loved this.. thanks 🙂