- Yellow pumpkin – 1 cup
- Tamarind – a gooseberry size
- Onion – 1 no
- Green chillies – 4 to 5 nos
- Curry leaves – a string
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split black gram – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek / Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Pressure cook the pumpkin for about three whistles and mash it to smooth paste.
- Finely chop the onions and green chillies.
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze it with the water, remove the flesh and keep only the water aside.
- Heat oil in the kadai. Put mustard, black gram, fenugreek and curry leaves. Wait till it splutters.
- Put the onions, green chillies and asafoetida, fry till they are golden brown.
- Pour in the tamarind water with little and turmeric powder. Cover with the lid and bring it to boil.
- Put the mashed pumpkin and give as stir to get it mixed well.
- Allow it boil, wait till the gravy thickens.
Serve hot with steamed rice. I have accompanied this pumpkin curry with chow-chow / Chayote Squash stir fry and Lamb brain fry.