Aatukaal Paya kulambu is a different recipe from aatukaal paya that we prepare for Idiyappam. Aatu kaal kuzhambu had completely different flavor, color, aroma and texture and this can be served with steamed rice, dosa or idly.
- Mutton / Lamb leg – 4 nos(smoked and chopped)
- Shallots – 10 nos
- Onion – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 no
- Peppercorns – 10 nos
- Cumin – 4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Ginger – 1” inch stick
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Coconut milk – ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
Making of Lamb Leg Curry / Aatu kaal kulambu –
- Finely chop the onion and tomato. Crush cumin and peppercorns. Also crush shallots, garlic and ginger.
- In a pressure cooker, take 2 cups of water, lamb legs, turmeric powder, crushed cumin and peppercorns, crushed shallots, garlic and ginger.
- Pressure cook all these for 5 whistles.
- Heat oil in another pressure cooker, put mustard, cumin and curry leaves. Wait till they splutter.
- Put the onions and fry till they are golden brown, followed by tomato till they become mushy.
- Put all the spice powders and salt. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in the boiled lamb leg along with the stock, wait till it boil.
- Pour in the coconut milk and wait for it to boil. Again pressure cook it for 2 whistles.
Serve hot along with steamed rice, idli or dosa.