Bitter Gourd is one of the best plant foods that helps improve diabetic. As the name suggests, this vegetable is bitter in taste. It is also known as Bitter Gourd/Bitter Melon/Karela and pagarkai in tamil.
It is great for people who have diabetics, it controls blood sugar levels and cures insulin resistance. It helps to cleanse the liver and regenerate the cells. It helps in flushing out the kidney stones.
I have prepared this Bitter Gourd curry, it taste yummy. This curry is a blend of tamarind water and fried bitter gourd. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Bitter Gourd – 1 ½ nos
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 ½ nos
- Tamarind – a gooseberry sized
- Chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split black gram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Finely chop the bitter gourd, by taking out the seeds in the centre. Marinate them for 10 mins with 1 tsp of chilli powder, 1 tsp of coriander powder, ¼ tsp of turmeric powder and salt.
- Finely chop the onions and tomatoes. Soak the tamarind in water for 10 mins and squeeze out the tamarind and store the tamarind water.
- Heat 3 tsps of oil in kadai. Put the marinated bitter gourd little by little and shallow fry them.
- Keep the fired bitter gourd aside.
- In the same kadai, add 1 tsp of oil. Put mustard, black gram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put onions and fry till they are transparent. Followed by tomatoes, till they become mushy.
- Put the fired bitter gourd and all the spice powders. Saute them for a min.
- Pour in the tamarind water, check for salt. Cover and cook till the oil separates on the top.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with steamed rice and appalam/pappad.