Cabbage is one of the vegetable which is found all time in everyone’s kitchen. Whenever I get cabbage I do stir fry/poriyal, but once I have read about cabbage chutney. So this time I preferred to make cabbage chutney. I feel feeding kids, cabbage in the form of stir fry is bit difficult than in the form of chutney. Also it came out very well. It complemented dosa and everyone in my family loved it.
CLICK HERE for more Chutney Recipes.
Also it’s good for people on diet, since it has very low in calories but rich in nutrients. It is packed with an abundance of natural anti-oxidant properties that help to fight against cancer. Red cabbage has the highest amount of these power nutrients. It is said to lower blood sugar levels and boost insulin production. Let us move on to the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more Breakfast recipes.
- Cabagge – 2 cup(roughly chopped)
- Channa dal/Bengal gram/Kadala paruppu – 1 ½ tsp
- Urad dal/Black gram/Ulundham paruppu – 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Tamarind – a pea sized
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Red chillies – 3 nos
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split black gram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Clean and chop the cabbage roughly.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put black gram, bengal gram, red chillies, cumin seeds, garlic and wait till they turn golden brown.
- Put the cabbage, salt and fry them till the raw smell goes off and they turn lightly golden brown.
- Bring it to room temperature and grind them to fine paste by adding little water. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a tadka. Put mustard, split blackgram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle and pour them to the chutney.
Serve with idli, dosa, bhaji and vada.