Coriander also known as Cilantro is used for garnishing in curries. It is commonly known as Dhania in India. Coriander leaves are rich in vitamins , dietary fiber, anti oxidants and essential minerals.
The health benefits of coriander includes in the treatment of skin inflammation, high cholesterol levels, diarohea, small pox, mouth ulcers, indigestion, menstrual disorders and so on.
I have made this Coriander chutney for dosa, you could serve this with idli, dosa, vada and bhaji. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Coriander leaves – 2 cups
- Coconut pieces – 1 tbsp
- Channa dal/kadala paruppu/Bengal gram – 2 tsp
- Urad dal/Ulutham paruppu/Blackgram – 2 tsp
- Ginger(chopped) – 1 tsp
- Tamarind – a green pea size
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Red chillies – 3 nos
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Wash and finely chop the coriander leaves.
- Heat a tsp of oil and fry bengal gram, black gram, tamarind, ginger, garlic, red chillies and coconut pieces. Fry them till golden brown.
- Put the coriander leaves, salt and fry them till they shrink and turn dark green in colour.
- Bring to room temperature and grind it to a fine paste by adding little water. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a tadka, put mustard, split blackgram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle. Pour them to the chutney.
Serve hot. You can refrigerate this for a day.