I have heard of this no onion no garlic recipes, but was wondering how far it would be tasty. Finally with the guts started preparing “no onion no garlic recipes” – first with Sambhar. I have prepared the sambhar by roasting few spices and grinding them. After tasting the sambhar, wow everything was perfect. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Toor dal/Pigeon pea/Thuvaram paruppu – ¼ cup
- Tamarind – a gooseberry sized
- Carrot – 1 no
- Radish – 1 no
- Drumstick – 1 no
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Red chillies – 5 nos
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Pressure cook toor dal/pigeon pea for about 3 whistles. It should be boiled to mashing consistency.
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 mins and extract the juice.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a kadai and fry red chillies, coriander seeds, channa dal and fenugreek seeds. Grind it to fine powder.
- Wash and chop the vegetables roughly.
- Heat oil in kadai. Put mustard and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put the vegetables, turmeric powder and salt. Saute them nicely for abt 5 mins and pour a cupof water. Cover with the lid and allow the veggies to boil.
- Pour in the tamarind juice and allow it boil in medium flame till the raw smell goes off.
- Put in the grounded sambhar powder, stir it well. Allow to boil for 5 mins.
- Put the mashed dal and give a stir. Cover and cook for few mins, till everything blends well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice, poriyal(stir fry) and appalam/pappadam.