Thogayal is a form of chutney which is particularly used as side dish for rice. Already I was posted a recipe coriander chutney, this is one is something different from that and accompanies good with variety rice or steamed rice.
- Coriander / Kothamalli – 4 cups / a bunch
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Ginger – a peanut sized
- Red chillies – 4 nos
- Urad dal/Black gram/Ulundam paruppu – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind – two pea sized
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and drain the water from the coriander leaves.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a kadai.Put red chillies, black gram, garlic, ginger and tamarind. Fry till the black gram changes to golden brown colour. Bring them to room temperature and grind to a fine powder.
- Add in the coriander leaves with little salt in the kadai and start frying them, till they shrink in size and turn dark green in colour.
- Bring them to room temperature and grind them to fine paste by adding very little water along with the grounded spice powder.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard and spilt black gram and wait till they crackle.
- Pour in the coriander paste and continue stirring till the oil separates on the top.
Serve hot with rice, idli or dosa. Bring them to room temperature and store it in a container, it can stay in room temperature for 24 hrs and after that store them in the refrigerator and can use it for a week.