This is a basic fish curry, suits good with all types of fish. I have selected Tuna. Let us move to the recipe…
- Fish – ½ kg (medium pieces)
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Onion – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 no
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Tamarind – a gooseberry sized
- Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Chop 1 onions to fine pieces and the other half roughly. Chop the tomatoes to fine pieces.
- Prepare Tamarind extract. Stir in the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder with the tamarind extract.
- Grind the coconut with a tsp of cumin seeds to fine paste and then add in the roughly chopped onions and pulse them for 2 seconds.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put mustard, a tsp of cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put the onion and fry till they become transparent.
- Put the tomatoes and fry till they become mushy.
- Pour in the coconut paste and Saute them till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in the tamarind extract along with two cups of water and let it to boil.
- Put the fish one by one and cover with the lid.
- Remove the lid when the fish is boiled and check for salt.
- Allow it to boil, till the oil separates and floats on the top.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice.