This is one of authentic tamilian recipe, which is mostly prepared in all tamilian families during occasions or for guests. This curry goes out well with steamed rice, Idli, dosa, Idiyappam(string hoppers).
- Cornish chicken / Nattu kozhi – 1 kg
- Red chillies – 6 nos
- Ginger – 1 inch stick
- Garlic – 7 cloves
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Peppercorns – 1 ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Curry leaves – 2 strings
- Onions – 3 nos
- Tomato – 1 ½ nos
- Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean and chop the chicken into medium size.
- Roughly chop 2 onions and tomatoes. Finely the chop the other onion.
- Dry roast red chillies, coriander seeds, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, a string of curry leaves, fennel seeds, poppy seeds together till the raw smell goes off.
- Heat 2 tsp of gingelly oil in a kadai. Put the coconut pieces and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Then the onions and fry till the raw smell go off. Keep it aside.
- Grind the dry roasted spices to a fine paste by adding little water and keep it aside.
- Grind the coconut and onion to a fine paste by adding little water and keep it aside.
- Heat the leftover oil in a pressure cooker and put mustard seeds, cumin seeds, a string of curry leaves and fenugreek seeds. Wait till they crackle.
- Put the onions and fry till they become transparent.
- Put the chicken with turmeric powder and salt. Fry till the chicken turns to white colour.
- Pour in the grounded paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in the grounded coconut paste and fry till the raw smell goes off, check for salt and put if required.
- Pour in a cup of water and give a stir. Wait till it gets boils. Cover with the lid and pressure cook for 3 sounds.
- Open the lid, when the pressure is released and put in medium flame till the oil separates and the gravy thickens to the consistency you need.
Serve hot with steamed rice. I have accompanied this with steamed rice, chicken liver fry and omelette.