Briyani is my families all time favorite, so I love preparing different varieties of briyani. Long back itself I was planning to prepare mushroom briyani, today I got set with it. This was my first attempt of mushroom briyani, it was too delicious and crunchiness of mushroom in the briyani was too good.
This recipe would be a treat for those who are in diet and diabetics people, since mushroom have no fats, no cholesterol, very low level of carbohydrates, high content protein and a wealth of vitamins and minerals. They also contain natural insulin and enzymes which helps the breaking down of sugar or starch in food.
I have tried this Mushroom biryani using Jeeraga Samaba rice or Jeera rice, you can also try it out with Basmathi / long grain rice.
Do check other Briyani recipe in this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/07/17/biryani/
- Mushroom – 2 cups
- Jeeragachamba / Basmathi / Long grain rice – 2 ½ cups
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Cardamom – 2 no
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Cinnamon – a 2” inch stick
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 no
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves – a fistful
- Mint leaves – a fistful
- Curry leaves – a string
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Salt to taste
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 3 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Finely chop the onions, tomato, coriander and mint leaves. Slit the green chillies.
- Boil 2 cups of water and switch off the flame. Clean the mushrooms and put the mushrooms into the water, cover with the lid. Drain the water after 10 mins and keep the mushrooms a side.
- Chop the mushrooms into medium size.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker; put the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Saute till they change colour.
- Put the ginger-garlic paste and sauté till they turn golden brown in colour, then put the green chillies, coriander, mint leaves and sauté till they change the colour.
- Put the onions and fry till they become transparent. Put the tomatoes and fry till they become mushy.
- Put the mushrooms, salt and then all the spice powders. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Put the rice, saute for few mins and then pour in 4 cups of water, check for salt. Wait till it boils. Pour in the lemon juice.
- Cover with the lid and wait for two whistles.
Serve hot with any gravy and appalam/pappadam. I have accompanied this with Plantain stem / Vazhaithandu Raita.