Already I have posted few mushroom curries, this one is completely different from all those. I have induced dried methi and yogurt in this curry for a different flavor. This goes out well with any Indian breads and variety rice.
This recipe would be a treat for those who are in diet and diabetics people, since mushroom have no fats, no cholesterol, very low level of carbohydrates, high content protein and a wealth of vitamins and minerals. They also contain natural insulin and enzymes which helps the breaking down of sugar or starch in food.
- Mushroom – 200 gm
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 no
- Curd/Yogurt – ½ cup
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Dried Methi leaves – ½ cup
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cinnamon – 2 “inch stick
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Wash and clean the mushroom in water. Boil 2 cups of water in a bowl, switch off the flame. Put the mushrooms and cover with lid, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Chop the mushrooms into medium size. Take curd/yogurt in a bowl; soak the mushrooms in the curd/yogurt for about 30 mins.
- Finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put the cardamom, cloves and cinnamon, sauté them till the colour changes.
- Put the ginger-garlic paste and curry leaves. Sauté till they turn golden brown colour.
- Put the onions and fry till they become transparent.
- Put the tomatoes and fry till they become mushy.
- Put in the mushrooms, followed by all the spice powders and salt. Fry them till the raw smell goes off.
- Put the dried methi leaves and fry for a minute.
- Pour in 1 ½ cup of water, let it boil. Cover with the lid and cook until the mushrooms are done.
- Remove the lid and put in medium flame, until the oil separates and floats on the top of the gravy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with any variety rice; also it goes out well with any type of Indian bread. I have accompanied this gravy with Mushroom Briyani.
Note: Also you could use fresh methi leaves instead of dried once, but the quantity should be half lesser than the dried once. The fresh once would be strong then the dried once.